Prep - Stay Warm & Dry
- There is no bad weather, only bad clothes. Layer up, wear at least 3 tops. The outer top should be easily removable as the temperature can rise a degree or two in a crowd.
- Don't get wet. It is essential to stay dry, nothing leeches heat faster than getting soaked. A warm waterproof coat with a hood is best. Umbrellas are perfect for spotty showers but don't be miserly, share with those around you.
- Shoes. Make sure they are comfortable and water resistant. Best not to wear sandals, flipflops or high heels. You may have to walk a distance or stand for a period of time. (Don't forget good thick socks)
- 6 degrees is glove weather. Fingerless gloves are ideal for operating mobile phones, cameras etc.
- Wear a hat. Heat dissipates fast from your head. One that covers your ears is better than one that doesn't.
- Toilet roll/Tissues.
- Liquids. Stay hydrated. A flask of tea or coffee doesn't take up much room and doubles as a hand warmer.
- A refuse bag. Small and easy to store with a multitude of purposes including, rain protection, a dry spot to sit and a means of taking away your rubbish.
- Mobile phone. Do not put your phone in a bag. Carry it on your person.
- Cash. Bring only what you need. Carry it on your person and in different pockets.
- If you are going alone let somebody know where you are and check back with them when you have returned home.
- Buddy up. If you are in a group, buddy up within the group. Your protest partner watches out for you and you for them.
- Have a pre-arranged meet up place away from the body of the protest to meet up before and after the protest.
- Use public transport. If you are driving from further afield, park away from the city center and catch a bus or Luas.
- Charge your mobile phone beforehand and turn it off to conserve battery life where possible.
- Be considerate of others. There will be young, old and infirm who may not be as capable as you, lend a hand where you can.
Above all, be there. Don't rely on others to carry your message, carry it yourself. It's all for nothing if you don't turn up. So show up, be heard, be peaceful.